Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Last week on the Farm

My last week on the farm started with a train ride from Wellington at 6 in the Morning, nobody else was on the train, apart from me and a French guy, Charles, my fellow wwoofer for the next week. He did a lot of farms before and so had a lot of stories to tell!
Some how at times he seemed a bit desperate in face of the work he had to do on the farm, he said that his other wwoofs weren’t as hard, but I think he coped quite alright in the end.
We were doing a lot of different things, and had a lot of fun, eventhough the work was really hard this week, and the weather at some stage just wasn’t suitable for the work, it rained really badly a couple of times.
Our main work included Lavender this week, cleaning the Lavender from cuttings, ripping our the old or ill ones, and weeding the plants.



Apart from that we picked Lemons

and cleaned the meadow on the other side of the river, Thomas was in town while we were doing that, and told us not to loose a little piece in the machine we were using, of course Charles lost exactly that piece in the high grass, what resulted in us searching the whole are, ripping out the grass by hand, coping with unusual big spiders, and finally resulting in me finding the piece after 2 hours searching, when it already began getting dark and all Charles was saying only was merde for the last 2 hours… He already wanted stop searching after 5 min. Sissy!



Thomas carrying Charles over the River, me finding the piece and the spider.
Of course I had to look after the calf, which already grew a lot.


A normal amount of stuff we collect on a day of work.

The foundation of a old hut, we digged out.


Jade enjoying her joyride on the trailer.

This cow, jumped the fence and started running around on the lavender field, before it jumped back over the fence.

We had half a day off, while Thomas was working in Levin, so we played a few games of pool.



Charles and me playing pool, I lost almost every game…I suck at pool.

Finally Thomas gave me a lift to Wellington. I enjoyed my time on the farm, even though the work was hard, but it was a good experience and a very different one. I gave a interview for the Otago student magazine, when I got a copy of that I’ll post it online. This will certainly not be the last time I did wwoofing!


Jade “saying goodbye to me and the way into Wellington.

No comments: